You are currently viewing Huawei Says It’s Ready For Conflict With The United States

Huawei Says It’s Ready For Conflict With The United States

Today, 21st May 2019, Huawei CEO Ren Zhenfei told the Chinese media about the company’s readiness to take on everything the United States of America brought. This came in response to the United States’ actions against the Chinese company on grounds that they were spying for their country’s government.

 

According to a translated interview by South China Morning Post, Zhenfei said,

“We sacrificed [the interests of] individuals and families for the sake of an ideal, to stand at the top of the world. For this ideal, there will be conflict with the United States sooner or later.”

 

Huawei has denied constant allegations from the US government that it was using technology to spy on America for the Chinese government. The issues between the two escalated last week when the United States Department of Commerce added Huawei to a trade blacklist. The restrictions meant that Huawei would be unable to trade with American Companies unless granted approval by the American government.

 

Yesterday, Monday, 20th May 2019, Google responded to the ban by suspending some parts of its business with Huawei. They also stopped their Android license. The action prevents Huawei phone users from getting access to OS updates. Huawei’s other US tech suppliers that provide them with important software updates also reportedly cut ties from them.

 

Huawei CEO, Ren Zhengfei
Huawei CEO, Ren Zhengfei

 

Loosened restrictions

The United States Commerce Department announced later on yesterday that they will loosen restrictions on Huawei for the next 90 days. This is so that the Chinese telecom giant can have some time to provide software updates. It will also be able to maintain existing networks on the current smartphones in the market.

 

However, the company’s CEO has said that this temporary ease on the restriction has “little meaning” for Huawei. This is because they are already “fully prepared” for the restrictions. The chip production part of Huawei released a memo recently. They stated that they had backup technology to replace the ones gotten from the US. The memo read, “all our backup products now being put to use in our long-term efforts will ensure continuous product supply”. The company also reportedly admitted to having a plan B Operating System. This is in case Google decided to permanently sever ties with them.

 

“We can make chips with the same quality as the US ones. But it does not mean we will not buy US chips. We can’t be isolated from the world,” Zhenfei said. Meanwhile, he thanked American companies for their input in Huawei’s development. He also subsequently blamed the US government for all the ongoing tensions.

Leave a Reply