Thank God It’s Friday! Are you one who loves to kick back and relax after a long week on a Friday evening and laugh with friends over cocktails? Then these fun homemade cocktails could be the recipe to a perfect boozy Friday. But making cocktails at home could sound scary to some.
It’s not as hard as you think. If you’d like your Friday served with a slice of lemon, these fun, easy-to-make cocktails will keep you going all through the weekend.
Five cocktails for a perfect boozy weekend
1. Classic Margarita
This sugary drink makes use of Triple Sec. However, if you’d like to stay off sugar, then opt for a natural sweetener like agave. You can also make a pitcher using cranberry or spare fruit by increasing the measurements and topping with juice.
- 35ml Tequila
- 20ml Triple sec
- Juice of ½ fresh lemon or lime
- Lime to garnish
- Pour the ingredients with some ice into a cocktail shaker.
- Shake for about 20 seconds.
- Tip your concoction into a salted glass.
- Garnish with a lemon or lime wedge.
- Tip: No one likes stray salt in their drink so, before you pour the drink in, rub some lemon along the edges then dip the rim in salt.
2. Old Fashioned
The Old Fashioned is an American cocktail made by muddling sugar with bitters, then adding alcohol, popularly whiskey but sometimes brandy and finally a twist of citrus rind.
- 60ml blended whiskey (like Jameson)
- A splash of simple syrup
- 2 dashes of bitter
- If you don’t have bitters and have no intention of buying any, mix together 2 tablespoons of vodka or rum with a pinch of cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, prunes and orange or lemon peel.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Put ice in a glass and pour over the ice.
- Garnish with a slice of orange or a cherry.
3. Orange Mojito
If the ubiquitous mojito doesn’t do it for you anymore, then spice it up with a citrus flavour like grapefruit or an orange.
- ½ orange
- 1 or 2 sprigs of fresh mint
- 40-60ml white rum (to taste)
- Club soda
- Crushed ice
- Muddle the orange juice, mint and honey in a highball glass until everything’s broken down.
- Add some cracked ice and top with rum and club soda for taste.
This drink is perfect for Friday rendezvous, no matter the weather. Keep it in mind that white wine requires delicate flavours (like cucumbers, green apples and lime) while red wine can handle an infantry of fruits.
- 1 bottle of red wine (750ml)
- 60ml brandy or triple sec
- Sliced strawberries
- 2 peaches or pears or oranges
- 1 sliced lemon
- Sparkling water to serve
- Combine the ingredients and leave in the fridge for several hours.
- If you have time and want to look like a consummate host, make ice cubes with fruit juice and dunk them in before serving.
5. Whiskey Sour
While this one is pretty straightforward it pays to taste as you go along. After all, you don’t want it to be too sour.
- 60ml blended whiskey
- 15ml fresh lemon juice
- 15ml simple syrup
- Note that there’s nothing to stop you from adding egg white and bitters or tinkering with the potency.
- Just place everything in a shaker (apart from bitters) and shake until it’s nice and frothy.