The dashiki is a colourful garment for women and men worn in West Africa. Known as “Kitenge” in East Africa, it is a loose-fitting, pullover shirt usually sewn from colourful, African-inspired cotton prints. It often has patch pockets and embroidery at the neckline and cuffs.
Dashiki covers the top half of the body. It has formal and informal versions and varies from simple draped clothing to tailored suits. A common form is a loose-fitting pullover garment, with an ornate V-shaped collar, tailored with an embroidered neck and sleeve lines.
The dashiki was worn as a way to protest society’ s disrespect for African Americans. It was a symbol of affirmation, and stood for “black is beautiful”. This attire signalled a return to one’s African roots, and their insistence on full rights in American society. It was first manufactured in Harlem during that era. Now, the dashiki is popular all over the USA.
Five stylish ways to rock your Dashiki outfits
1. Rock a Dashiki dress that accentuates your curves.
2. Turn heads at a date or an event with a midi dashiki dress.
– How To Explore The Beauty Of Obudu Mountain Resort
– The History Of Kente And How It Evolved Into A Fashion Item
– Five Ways To Combine Your Ankara Material To Look Chic
3. Sport a dope look with a Dashiki hoodie.
4. For a walk at the beach, pair a Dashiki top with short shorts.
5. Grab all the attention at a wedding party with a Dashiki flowing dress.
So you see, you don’t have an excuse not to fall in love with this beautiful fabric known as “Dashiki”. Also, ensure you wear it fashionably as you are promoting your African roots by doing so.
For your daily dose of tech, lifestyle and trending content, make sure to follow Plat4om on Twitter @Plat4omLive, on Instagram @Plat4om, on LinkedIn at Plat4om, and on Facebook at Plat4om. You can also email us at email@example.com. Finally, don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel HERE.