An explosion rocked the residential area of Orile-Agege, Lagos on Tuesday, 26th March 2019. It led to two getting injured and the destruction of a building, shops and properties worth millions of naira.
Vanguard reports that residents narrated the whole scenario. According to them, the tragedy occurred after a high tension wire snapped and landed on one of the buildings. The said building had a cooking gas in it, which led to the explosion. Following this, balls of fire that jolted many residents from their sleep.
The bid to escape the fire left some residents injured. The residents, who lost their homes and properties in the inferno, appealed to the government to come to their aid. They pleaded for the provision of alternative accommodation for them pending when they can afford to rent another one.
One of the victims, Saidu Mohammed, who lost everything he had laboured for eight years said,
“I could not salvage anything from the fire. The most painful aspect is that the money I was to pay into the bank yesterday, on behalf of my company, got burnt. I could not pay because the bank had closed. My intention was to pay it in today, only for the unthinkable to happen.”
Another victim, Mrs Mulikat Shuaib, who lost her shop and wares, pleaded,
“I borrowed money from a friend to stockpile my shop. Unfortunately, everything is gone. Two persons, a woman and a boy, who was severely injured, were rushed to the hospital.”